The following are the reasons why you need to update your WordPress site and plugins:
1. Enhance Security
As an ecommerce store handling important customer accounts and payments, your store can be a key target for security attacks. You can lose customers if they find out that your store is not secure for online transactions.
2. Improve Site Performance
An update can include scripts that run more efficiently and speeds up performance of the theme, the plugin or WordPress itself.
3. Fix Bugs
WordPress and plugin developers constantly release updates to fix bugs.
4. Use of New Features
Aside from fixing bugs, updates are also done to introduce new features. When you update, you can get access to these new features which may be useful for your site.
WordPress and plugins update, when done incorrectly, can break your site and you can lose the customizations done on your store. You can free yourself from all the hassles if you entrust it to Wooassist.
Following industry best practices, our process is as follows:
- We will first apply the updates on the development site for testing purposes and to ensure that fatal errors do not affect the live site when they occur.
- We will do a general user-testing on the development site to check for any errors and bugs caused by the updates.
- When we find any error or bugs, we will resolve them first before proceeding.
- Before implementing the changes from the development to the live site, we make sure to create a backup of your current live site. This is to ensure that we can revert to a working copy of the site when we encounter any unexpected issues.
- We then proceed to implementing the updates on the live site and applying any necessary fixes.
- Finally, we will then release a summary report detailing the updates pushed, problems encountered and fixes applied.
The task to update WordPress core, WooCommerce and other plugins usually takes 2 to 3 hours but can be higher or lower depending on the number of plugins to be updated. It is a recommended practice to do regular site updates, so we also offer a regular Site Update and Maintenance Service wherein we update your WordPress core, theme and plugins automatically for you every fortnight or every month. This rids you of having to worry about updating these elements and breaking any part of the site in the process.